With all the best intentions in the world there will be times when you just don’t want to put your trainers on and step outside the door. I don’t believe that anyone doesn’t feel like this at some stage. Here are some suggestions for when you just don’t feel like running a mile.
- Realize that it is just a mile and that it wont take you very long.
- It will kick start your metabolism and you can be more liberal in what you eat in the day. You cant be extreme with this but that extra chocolate biscuit may be allowed.
- You may not need to run all of it. If you are really struggling just run for a minute, walk for the next minute and see how you feel. After this initial start stop approach you will probably feel like running the rest of it. This first minute is crucial in my opinion and if you know you can walk after it then it all feels manageable.
- Incorporate the run into your day schedule. Can you run to work (or part of it)? Can you run to the shops? Can you run from place to place in a city instead of the bus or tube?
- Take someone with you. Once you start forming a habit with running a mile a day you will probably find that other people around you become interested in what you are doing. If you run with someone you can challenge each other and it will be easier to motivate.
- Run early in the morning before the day starts. Make it the first thing you do when you get up. Don’t have a shower, don’t have a coffee – just step outside and run.
I would love you to comment if you have any suggestions of how to motivate yourself to exercise.
Thanks for reading